What is oral cancer?
Oral cancer is a cancer that can affect any part of the mouth, including the tongue, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, cheeks, throat (pharynx), jaw, sinuses, and more. When oral cancer is caught early, it is usually treatable. If it is not detected and treated in the early stages, however, oral cancer can be life threatening. Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red, white, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
- A chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent sores on the mouth, neck, or face that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- Lumps, swellings, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other areas in the mouth
What is an oral cancer screening?
During each routine visit to Essential Dental PC, our caring dentists, Dr. Carlton and Dr. Dunlap, will perform an oral cancer screening. This includes a thorough examination of your face, neck, jaw, and the inside of your mouth to check for the signs of oral cancer. We strive to identify the signs of oral cancer in Chicago, Illinois at the earliest possible stage to ensure you receive the treatment you need. For more information on oral cancer and our screening procedures, we invite you to call us today. We are committed to helping you maintain good oral health.